Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Closet Before and After...


Several months ago Mr. C told me to empty my closet because he needed to work on it and paint it fresh.  We have lived in this home for 18 years and I confess my closet was a disaster.  I did not take any before photos with clothes because it was just too embarrassing.  I admit to a slight tendancy towards "hoarder" status.  I hate to eliminate things even though I always donate to Hospice.


It took me six weeks to take everything out.  I was overwhelmed with how much I had stuffed into this space.  Oh by-the-way I was so shocked at the size of my closet when I did get it emptied that I measured the floor alone.  It is 7 feet x 13 feet and I am embarrassed because that is the size of some bedrooms I have had in my past. 

 
It is nice and bright and I do enjoy having a window.  I had to cover that window though because the wonderful sunshine would stream in and fade only the one side depending on how clothes were hung.


So where did I put all that stuff?  Well, the library across the hall.  Mr. C had the audacity one day to ask, "What is all that stuff in here now?"  That man should be silent!  I did take loads downstairs and hang them in the guest closets.  Then I was talking via telephone to our good friend, Mr. Larry, who recently moved and rebuilt closets.  Well...


Brilliant Larry suggested two ladders with poles across.  So Mr. C got to hang all of his clothes nice and neat.  He did take over the dining room.  Thank you Mr. Larry.


So for a solid week Mr. C and his super helper, John, worked in both closets and routed every edge of every shelf, straightened my sagging brackets and rods, and sanded and painted.  Two gallons of expensive Benjamin Moore paint and five hours later I could move back in.  But..."don't clutter or overload!  Remember we are listing the house and buyers need to see a spacious closet."


Now I have donated another truckload of clothes, shoes, boots and hats to Hospice.  I just hope I have clothes and shoes left for me to wear.


 Now you have seen the after photos and I admit I am so giddy with the transformation.  I love to be able to see just what I have and am able to actually wear.  Oh, you ask if I kept anything downstairs in the guests closets?  Yes, just a wee bit.  I have one garment bag in each closet with specialty pieces that aren't for everyday.  Mr. C did approve of this.

 
 
One last photo to share with you and Thank You for staying with me this long.  This is the niche just before entering my closet and I love to display special treasures of family vintage hats and "handbags".  Not all are vintage but they are lots of fun. 
This entire closet project almost killed me and I am so thankful it is now completed.  Now on to more sorting and donating and packing in my craft room downstairs. 
Our weather is just right and hopefully we might get some much needed rain this coming weekend. 
I am content and finding JOY in each and every day.  I did take a day "off" and meet my sister.  We spent some lovely hours making beaded charms.  She was learning and she did extremely well!  I was very proud of her.
Embracing Creative Bliss...

21 comments:

  1. Oh Sherry your closet looks great! I had to laugh when you said you had a slight tendency towards hoarding, because I can so relate to that! I am doing better with that though. Enjoy your lovely fall day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Sherry, your closet looks amazing!! Mr. C and his helper did a fabulous job refreshing it and you did a beautiful job restocking!! It's a house-buyer's dream closet!! I am so with you about hoarder status...I have things in boxes I know I'll never wear but I can't part with them. My craft room is much, much worse!! I may need to stage an intervention with myself ;) I hope you have a wonderful day my friend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your closet looks wonderful! I emptied out and organized my closet about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, I have let some messiness creep in. You've inspired me. I think I'll work on cleaning out my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to be thrilled with your new closet. I know I was extremely happy with the closet in our bedroom here after the one in our house which was only three feet wide. This one isn't all that much bigger but it's deeper allowing for cloths to be hung along the sides. I can't imagine having one the size of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your closet looks great and so fresh! I've been working on thinning out my closet, though right now my whole house is "thinned" of all furniture while we tile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sherry, your closet is wonderful and so neat and tidy with your redesign. I have a closet like this too and really it is more like a dressing room isn't it? I know you are so happy with your new organization in the closet. It all looks fabulous.
    So glad you enjoyed some time off with your sister. Have a creative week and weekend ahead. Hugs, xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great space ypu have there and as ypu say bigger than some bedrooms, certainly very tidy for now! The hospice have benefited from your sort out too which is a good thing, here they are desperate for funds as the government no longer help them out

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so lucky he can do stuff like that! Your new closet looks great! How nice to spend creative sister time. I miss mine! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. 7 x 13...really. I would think I died and went to HEAVEN!! Just to get an idea of your closet size, I got out my tape and measured my sewing/office space. 11 x 11. You make me want to clear out my OWN closet, but that would take time away from sewing so I digress. lol.

    Your closet is great and you organized it so well. And look at all that loot that went to a good cause!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing now. I need to do something with mine after seeing how beautifully yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my dear Sherry,
    what a wealth of wonderful clothes, shoes ,boots hats, and bags, to mention some of the things now again filling your wonderful closet .It must be fantastic every day entering it and choose from the stashes my friend. A wonderful job done of all of you. Hugs, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW...the closet looks so nice and inviting! Makes me want to redo mine...ha...it too is a walk in but.....you know the rest of the story! HA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, good job! Tedious to do, but marvelous when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! You do have a very lovely closet. I can imagine how jampacked it likely was before. Very easy to do. But to have it so spiffed up and organized now is fantastic. Love the hanging purses in the alcove. And it definitely looks like you have plenty of clothes to choose from. :) I heard there were some storms hitting the Northwest with strong winds and rain. Hope you at least got some much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your closet looks lovely with its makeover. I couldn't find a pair of leggings the other day and eventually found them in s box right over the back of the wardrobe. In The end his had necessitated in having everything out and reorganizing and de cluttering so a bag full of clothes is now waiting for the next charity day. It does look good to be able to find everything again. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I need to do this to my closet!!!!!!!!

    A very lovely RE-DO and now you can really enjoy it and doll it up as you have shown here!

    Thank you so much for coming to visit my blog. I grew up in S. California but always longed for four seasons. Maybe it was storybooks as a child that called out to me for something more colorful, but when my husband and I had the opportunity to move to Boston in 1986, we went. Eleven years in New England then 19 years here in beautiful Minnesota have changed us both, as with the seasons. For everything, there IS a season and believe it or not, I love winter!

    THANK YOU for your kind and beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cleaning out closets and going through things is never fun but now you have a beautiful organized closet. Thanks for the tip about the ladders and a pole, never thought of that for a temporary "closet"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sherry, this is such a great post I had to visit once again. Love your closet dressing room and I'm sure you are truly enjoying it. Have a blessed week my friend. Hugs and friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, now thats a closet!! Beautiful,, I have so much catching up to do,, I have missed you!
    I hope you continue to have good weather with a little rain in the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's all so lovely Sherry! I'm really proud of you, and impressed at well you are coping with all the move preparations. At least when you do sell the house and are having to start packing you will have an easier time of it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. now this is what I call order ...wow, you could have a business helping others to do this...everything looks so neat..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.