Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Online CQ Class...


I honestly do not know what I was thinking!  I have always loved CQ...Crazy Quilting.  There is a wonderful lady named Kathy Shaw who does beautiful CQ work.  She also has classes available online from time to time.  I couldn't help myself this time and I signed up for her Basic Crazy Quilting Class...BCQC.  Here is the link to her website and you will want to see everything.
So here is my first assignment and I didn't have too much trouble.  Four neutral fabrics and a wrapped hoop.  Done.


Next came time to take those four neutral fabrics and cut them into pieces.  Oh...I needed a fifth fabric so off to the store I drove.  In my hundreds of fabrics do you think I had just one more neutral that would work?!!  Okay now I can relax and cut my pieces.


Well now it is time to sew those pieces back together again.  After all it is called Crazy Quilting.  Only quilters would take perfectly good fabric and cut it up only to put it back together again into one piece of fabric.  I will tell you that I did more seam ripping than normal.  I must have some sort of "spatial dyslexia" because my pieces kept getting sewn in the wrong direction. No matter how careful I was I kept sewing them wrong and only after sewing did I realize that my seams were not going to work out in straight lines.  Oh dear!  This is the correct pattern.  Whew!
 

I also discovered that my original Q-Snap frame was too small and would not fit my fabric piece.  DRAT!  No local stores to run to and buy another larger frame so Amazon came to my rescue.  Meanwhile days are rushing by and I am not keeping up!  Do not stress over this Sherry.  There is no deadline (is there?).  Breathe and just have fun with this.


Well here is my fabric block all sewn together in the proper class shape and size.  I have it hooped in my new larger frame.  Now what...
I must say that no matter how difficult I make this for myself, Kathy has been wonderful and very supportive.  She has a very comforting way of teaching and I am very grateful for this.  Thank you Kathy for offering your BCQC and for keeping it free.  Yes, I said free.  This is rare in our world.
Our weather is very cool and not at all Summer-like.  We are supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow and it will be very much appreciated.  El Nino has not delivered nearly enough rain for us to get out of our drought.  And Fire season is upon us in full scary mode. 
Not much creative going on here as I am continuing my purging and donating in order to downsize.  Mr. C is busy with a plethora of projects both inside and outside.  We have lived here eighteen (18) years and soon it will be time to move.  Mr. C is restless and tired of all the maintenance of eight acres of property and a multi-story home that is bigger than we need.  The seasonal elements are hard on wood and paint and there is constant work for him to do.  Even hiring a helper is getting to be too much to manage.  So we search...  Mr. C wants to move out of California and that will be a challenge because we are both natives and love it here.  However progress will prevail and we will find our next community and home.  In the meantime...you can find me making huge messes in most every room.  I am off to load up the truck with another array of boxes, bags and baskets full of goodies to donate to Hospice.  I am a frequent donator...
I do have my new BCQC to keep me busy too.  I shall share more next time. Summer Fun for All...
Winter Bliss to my friends across the world.  Embracing Creative Bliss...

26 comments:

  1. Another creative journey for you... I love CQ as well, although it's been several years since I've touched mine. I feel the need to purge as well. I have far more than I can use, and I know that some day we will need to downsize. Better to start now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CQ seems like something you'd be really good at and I'm looking forward to seeing your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy is great, so you're going to have fun and learn lots. Hate to tell you this, but you're about to be assimilated into the crazy quilting world. Don't worry - we're friendly! Hope you soon find the perfect spot to live and everything falls into place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy your class I did it a while ago, funny I found my piece the other day and though must do something with it. Love the frame you are using find it works so uch better than a hoop.
    Moving is one big upheaval best of luck finding a new home, like you I need to downsize but not possible at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, Kathy and ALL her classes are wonderful and friendly. Oh wow!! now I see why you want to move!! We have 3/4 of an acre and it can be hard to keep up with plus we take care of my sister's lawn. I'd love to move. I really would. To a nice new house. To a neighborhood that is rural and not full of houses that have become rentals with renters that have no consideration for their neighbors. I'd love to move a truck up to the house to get rid of all the stuff Terry keeps "in case" we need it. New houses don't need spare parts, lol.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry now that you have your CQ base done I am looking forward to seeing how you will stitch the embroidery. If you move out of California, where do you think you might go? Good luck with your purging, and new home looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, good for you! This will be a fun journey (except for the trips to the store now and again). No matter what the project, they all have their own special set of supplies. It adds to the enjoyment, but also to the storage problems in the sewing room. But the alternative is not to go in new directions, and that's not an option for me. I'm with you- I love online classes. Will await your further adventures, and I'm off to see Kathy's site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to enjoy watching your CQ assimilation. There is no escape. You will become addicted. mwahahahahahahahah! And you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I joined this CQ and I was gathering supplirs and thats as far as I got. Maybe you'll inspire me to craziness again. Lol. I am rignt with you as our acreage's maintenance is getting away on us. Purging bliss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see the stitches that you will put into it. Crazy quilting is so beautiful and I love the details.

    It would be hard to leave CA, but there are so many gorgeous places in our country. I know that you will find new roots and grow beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sherry, it looks so beautiful, it will be amazing when finished, dear !!
    You ,too moving ..... we finally I have sold our home through 24 years, and also found another one in c little town on the other side of the island , I`m so happy ,we have waited 2 years for this !! We will have the key August 15`th and untill then I guess it will not feel all real,lol!
    The weeks to come, is called ,PACKING up ,all we do not use in our every day life . But we are lucky to be able staying here, for 3 months!!!
    I hope you are not to wait that long before selling as we did !!
    Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVED taking this class from Kathy. I had been crazy quilting for a few years already, but still learned new things. She is a great teacher. I'm sorry creating the block was such a challenge (piecing is my least favorite part.) I do hope you have loads of fun with the embellishing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful you are back into this!!! Can't wait to be on this journey and see your work! It's always wonderful hearing about your daily life...purging is good...moving not so much! But always something to look forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your CQ class is going to be great.Look forward to seeing what you make.
    Judy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look to have made a good start on the CQ, though I understand it wasn't as easy as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful! Keep up the good work! I hear you about house and property maintainance. It becomes more of a challenge every year! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you are always trying something new...you are fearless! Thank you for your kind comments on the Orlando tragedy...tough times

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a CQ block I started a few years ago and never finished. Sewing isn't quite my thing. I do love the look of crazy quilting though, especially with different fabric color and patterns. Sounds though like with this piece you are going to be adding a lot of embellishing. Have fun!

    Hot as heck here and, of course, there will not be any rain while the heat is around for the next 4 months or so. I can certainly understand wanting to downsize. Hard to slow down when you always have something to upkeep. I would choose New Mexico or Oregon to move to, though I've never been to the latter. But I know a few bloggers who live there and it just looks amazing, with such a diverse environment. Change is good. Take care! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I adore crazy quilting...took a local class, on a smaller scale here a few years back). I love that you are actually stressing about scraps of fabric - proves I may not be as anal myself, as I thought! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, that is news indeed! Good luck with the downsizing and finding a new home! Your neutrals (yay, neutrals!!) CQ is coming along so beautiful, looking forward to the result! Take care and enjoy :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your crazy quilting all in neutral shades is looking interesting. The frame work even more so. Can't wait to see more of the project. We have rain here in the UK by the bucket load. Tennis fortnight starts tomorrow and Glastonbury (outdoors music festival)is in full swing. You can't have either of those happening without it raining.
    Almost an institution. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful class you are taking. I think I would have great trouble not sewing those all together wrong! lol. I love the neutrals you are working with. Yes, I often begin a project and need to go to the shop for one thing, even though I have loads of fabric. lol.
    We too are downsizing soon, and cleaning out 10 or so years of accumulation. Best wishes on your purging : )
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your block is already beautiful - and I'm so glad you persevered! I love crazy quilting, and used to do quite a lot of it... you are inspiring me to dig out one I have in progress and get back at it.
    Moving out of California! How dramatic!! Where do you think you'll go?? Moving is exciting - at least, once the purging, packing and unpacking is done...
    Thinking of you, and praying for rain.
    Hugs,
    jillayne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Sherry, just lovely this journey you're on with CQ. I love what you have done so far. You work in perfection and it shows.
    Best wishes in the upcoming move. I know it is good but can be bittersweet too.
    Hope you get some much needed rain.
    Have a beautiful weekend ahead. Hugs and joys!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I did CQ for years. I loved all the stitcches and especially the trinkets I added. Watch out you will get hooked and then heaven help you. LOL Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Somehow, I missed this post...sorry for the delay in commenting!! Your quilt block is gorgeous!! I love the design!! You are so awesome to keep with it despite the setbacks!! I hope you are having a wonderful summer and good luck with the purging!! I need to do that as well!! Have a great week!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.