Friday, December 15, 2017

Harry & David Pears...


Thank you Tom and Joanne for the lovely Harry and David Pears.  Thankfully I opened the box and discovered the pears are ripe and need to be eaten right now!  I believe the instructions inside the box should be on the outside.  Who knew the pears would ripen faster in the gift box left on the kitchen counter for two days.  Well there is no way two of us can eat nine pears right now. So...


I got busy washing and cutting and prepping to save the pears.  Even Mr. C was shocked to see so many pans on the stove.  I made 8 cups of simple sugar syrup.  Then boiled both the syrup and pear slices together for two minutes.


Now my pear slices are cooling. These slices are no longer crisp but rather mushy.  The will have to be eaten like sautéed fruit.  I will be searching Google and Food sites for interesting ways to use these.  I do love a crumble coffee cake or cobbler.


Here is my resulting mason jar and two quart baggies of "preserved" Harry and David Pears.  Do you have any favorite ways of eating "mushy" pear slices? I would love to have you share your recipes.  Thank you very much. 
I have been handwriting my Christmas cards.  Yes, I do prefer to handwrite the envelope address and a personal message inside each card.  Sometimes this is the only time of year we connect with past friends or family and I want everyone to know I am thinking of them with each pen stroke.
Staying busy this time of year is a must, yet we also must take time for ourselves to eat right and get enough sleep and not stress over everything.  Do only what you can do and others will understand.
Merry Christmas Blessings...xo

11 comments:

  1. Yum, the pears look delicious!! Unfortunately, I have no recipe to share with you. Though I like pears, I don't use them often. I still haven't been able to work on my Christmas cards and I'm running out of time!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work to save the pears! I hope the post office co-operates with your Christmas list. The inefficiency of our PO is why I no longer write cards, though I do like the idea of doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned a long time ago if you want fruit to ripen faster to place into a paper bag. So it's the same thing as being in the box. The fruit give off a gas of some kind that ripens it faster. Those "mushy" pears will be delicious over ice cream. about 10 years ago when I was working, a co-worker made a pear tart for my birthday that we all ate. It was delicious. She probably used fresh pears that she cooked, but if you prefer the tart shell and add the pears and other ingredients, it might still be good, just softer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you say pears and ice cream? What a nice gift. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If blueberry crisp is yummy, I’ll bet a pear crisp would be delicious! Hot. With French vanilla ice cream. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pears, but I have no recipes to use mushy ones. I'm impressed that you got some canned...what a pioneer woman you are! My Christmas cards are still sitting here. I can't get motivated to send them. Ron may have to take over this task this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to use the pear windfall - sorry I have no ideas for their use beyond 'doing a Google' to see what might come up. Over ice cream would be my choice though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love pears! My mouth is watering over all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How delish are these! They make the best jam with lots of vanilla in them, too!

    Dear, dear heart, thank you for visiting my post. Yes, it's been a long while, and especially having my comments page WORK. To my great surprise, I saw that they finally appeared. Thank you so much for visiting and enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dear Sherry, the pears look so delicious and your use is wonderful. I love pears!! Maybe the soft ones would be good for pear butter although I have not tried it myself. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the new year. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pears look delicious! When they are pretty ripe, I cut them up and add them to a smoothie. They blend in easily and I cannot notice the mushy texture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.