Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Apple Cider Salted Caramels...


These are NOT caramels!   I overcooked my mixture by just a smidge and ended up with Apple Cider Salted Hard Candy. It is still delicious!  At Thanksgiving my Daughter-in-Love made the most delicious Apple Cider Salted Caramels. Soft and chewy and so delicious. 
So...I wanted to make them.


She gave me the link to Smitten Kitchen and the recipe. Click here for your recipe.  I gathered my ingredients and got to cooking.  All was going well until...I almost reduced all of the apple cider.  It looked like I had foam only but I continued.  These are very easy to make...if you pay attention.


I poured my cooked batch into my prepared pan.  It looked amazing.  I let it sit to cool off.  And this is when I discovered I must have overcooked it by just a smidge. My caramels are not soft and cannot be cut with an oiled knife!  Ruined!  I was very sad.  Mr. C to my rescue. He suggested I break it up with a hammer.


I took my hard rock slab and a clean kitchen towel to his workshop.  Then I got his big heavy hammer and began to break pieces.  No need to wrap these delicious jewels in parchment paper.  They are in a container and ready for my pleasure.  These pieces merely melt in my mouth!  I am not going to waste them...since I love sugar and all candy.  Yes, I will try to make the real caramels in the future. For now I am enjoying the yummy flavor of my Apple Cider Salted Hard Candy.
We have been having some rain.  So refreshing and the hills are the most divine green colors.  My prayers continue for everyone across our Nation who are experiencing radical weather.  It is unbelievable that Highway 101 remains closed in the Santa Barbara/Montecito area of California.
January days are going by so quickly I just cannot keep up.  So I shall remain Mindful of each and every hour...even if I have no idea what day it is.
Creative Bliss and Valentine HeArts to each of you my dears...<3

10 comments:

  1. Oh my, it looks so yummy!! I'm going to have to check out that recipe!! We've had below zero temps and lots of snow, but it's supposed to gradually warm back up. I'll be glad when all of the snow is gone!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you please share the recipe!!! We love anything salted caramel!!! Even your mistake looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you were at least able to salvage what you made even if it wasn't what you intended. I'm sure they taste yummy. Can't go wrong with apple cider. :) So terrible all the fires in CA and then the mudslides. My mom left Ohio to get away from snow and twice this winter they've had snow in Mississippi. Very strange for the south and just makes for a big mess there since they aren't prepared for such conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who cares! About the toffee, I mean. Toffee is yummy soft or hard. Btw. I am forever undercooking. I just tell the kids it's spoon fudge!
    Happy day, Sherry. Valentine's day is coming and maybe we can figure heart shaped toffee! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at least your efforts weren't wasted and they were still delicious. I will bet your next batch will be perfect.
    I remember living in California. First the fires, then the rain then the mudslides! But the fire season is year round now (so sad). My brother lives in the Santa Barbara area. He has been wearing the mask that was recommended and not going outside much when the fires were burning. It was 10 miles from his house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s tricky to get the cooking exactly right. Lucky they taste good anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candy making can be a challenge. But if the results are tasty, nothing is lost. Apple Cider Salted Brittle works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm mmmm! this looks amazing! I would love it, but would be scared it would take a crown off in my mouth (had that happen before). thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like you had some fun and it tasted good on top of it. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caramels vs. toffee - hmmm - to me there would be no win/lose in that scenario. The taste is everything and I suspect these are excellent no matter the texture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.