Monday, January 22, 2018

Saving Adeline's Stitchery...


Last August I was fortunate to attend a two day community flea market with my daughter-in-love.  Every home and the community all set out treasures and sell them very reasonably.  In fact on Sunday noon everything is half-price or less.  So I purchased this wonderful stitchery and removed it from a ratty frame.  I just knew I was saving this from the trash bin.  I adore it for the lovely hand stitches and the content represents everything I love!


Because wall space is always in short supply, I decided it should become a pillow for my sewing room.  My friend Martha gave me some perfect linen in a divine taupe color.  Thank you Martha.  I decided to band the stitchery to enlarge it and to feature the stitchery.  The pillow cover is now 18" x 20".  I will keep it flat and unstuffed for now.  We are still living in limbo...


This is the back of the pillow cover.  I decided to make it envelope style. I also decided to use the lovely softly fringed selvedges as they are and not turn them in and sew them inside.  I love the look.


When I removed the stitchery from the frame, this little brown paper signature was on the back. That is how I know Adeline did the stitchery.  It makes me so happy to imagine Adeline sitting and stitching this piece.


Sew...it is with great happiness that I have Adeline's Stitchery as a lovely pillow for my sewing room chair.  Thank you Adeline for your amazing homage to all things I love.
We are having rain and it is colder so now the ski resorts will be getting the snow they need so much.
What projects are you working on in our shorter daylight hours of Winter...Or Summer for my far-a-way visitors and friends?  JOYful Creative Bliss...

13 comments:

  1. Oh well done! Wonderful that Adeline's work has been given a new lease on life. I am glad you were able to rescue it, it would be a shame for it to end up in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you rescued that! All the hours that went into making it and it was almost trashed; how sad! It makes a wonderful pillow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely piece you have rescued! I never would have thought of turning in to a pillow, but I think it's a wonderful idea. I remember thinking of purchasing this particular pattern way back when, mainly because of the sewing machine. I haven't done any kind of stitchery in years, but I may take it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to see an older piece of stitching rescued. your pillow looks amazing. just getting settled enough to get serious about working again. a month off is way too long for this creative. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done! And wouldn't it have been a shame to not revive this? Cross-stitch is more laborious than it looks at first glance. I always look at a design and think I can stitch it in a trice. Not so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful find. So glad you saved it! Great idea to make it into a pillow cover. It looks like it matches your chair perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely treasure you found and rescued and re-purposed and gave a better home to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, what a beautiful find and an amazing transformation!! You repurposed Adeline's hard work so perfectly!! I love this!! So creative!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a score! It would have been a horrible thing had it been trashed - so much work and love went into the making. I'm sure Adeline (whoever and wherever she is) would be happy to see her work enjoying pride of place in your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was an amazing rescue! I love all the detail in it and making it into a pillow was a great idea. I think Adeline would appreciate that you saved her lovely piece. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how lovely! What a wonderful rescue for this treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful pillow! It is a gorgeous piece and you found a wonderful way to save it. As for me, today, I am piecing my February CQJP 2018 block and listing goals for February.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, horrors to think, after all that work, this beautiful stitchery had to be saved! Thankfully, you stepped up to the plate and will love it as a cushion! Good job repurposing it, now a joyful addition to your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.