Sunday, January 6, 2013

Why Do I Hesitate???


Some time ago a lovely lady named Susan Elliott who Plays With Needles and is a Master Stitchery Artist had an online course for making a Hari-Kuyo Needlebook.  If you do not follow her blog just click the link on her name and do go see what amazing creations she masters.  I missed her first e-course so when she offered the second edition I absolutely knew I wanted to participate.  So I signed up...paid my money and promptly got my supplies from Susan.  The kit is exquisite and of the finest quality.  Thank you Susan.  That is where I got stalled.  I wanted to say I didn't begin because of the holidays.  Or because I was injured with my broken rib.  Or anything else I could think of not to begin making this little needlebook I loved so much.
But nagging at me was the voice, "Don't let Susan down."  "You spent good money on this e-course."  "You want this needlebook."  "You know you can do it."  So it sat.  I do know why I hesitated.  It is a life-long issue with me.  I don't want to do anything "less than perfect!".  We all know there is no perfect.  So...with the new year I decided to begin.
First I read all the instructions.  Matched up the kit pieces with the appropriate directions.  Then I pressed everything just as needed.  So far so good...


Here I am using my light box to trace a copy of the front cover flower.  "I know how to do this!"


Here I am preparing my copy for tracing onto the beautiful Japanese fabric for the cover. "I know how to do this!"  My newest tool in the studio helped me.  A Japanese screw punch with exchangeable tips.
   

Here is my flower pattern shown against a yellow background for definition.  "I know how to do this!"


I thought I had no chalk pencil so I could go no further.  Yet another excuse trying to derail myself.  Then realized I could use a white watercolor pencil and it worked perfectly.  "I know how to do this!"


UhOh!  Ribbon embroidery?  I have always admired this type of stitchery and thought some day I would try it.  Now?  Um...okay.  With our modern internet and videos there isn't even a need to go dig out my library of books on this subject.  A few minutes of viewing and I am actually creating my ribbon embroidery flower.
 "I know how to do this!"



Here I am stitching the stem stitch.  Once again,  "I know how to do this!"   After all I did spend a lot of the 60's and 70's doing the Hippy embroidery on everything from denim jeans and shirts to mens hankies and other assorted items that would hold still long enough to put needle and DMC embroidery floss to.  In fact when I went to look for my flosses I still have many from that era.


Here is my finished flower.  I can honestly say the two days I spent creating this were such a joy.  French knots are still not my best but I shall practice and become better now that I am older and wiser (or supposed to be :o) so I am told).
Susan thank you sew very much for offering this wonderful e-course and for allowing a very long open time for those of us that drag ourselves slowly to the party.  Your kit of supplies is exquisite.  I am looking forward to finishing this Hari-Kuyo Needlebook in time for the annual festival held February 8th.
Why do I hesitate?     "I know how to do this!"
Lots of new beginnings and creative artworks are being shared and I am enjoying reading your blogs.  I am grateful for this sharing of ideas.
Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

28 comments:

  1. No hesitation in the New Year - you know how to do that, beautifully! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. See you can do it and you did it. With time you will get it perfect and be able to even teach someone else, that thinks they won't be able to do it. Have fun creating in your studio. Ana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you did it. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think our inner critic makes us procrastinate. It's that little voice that says: "You can't do that!" Well, you showed that inner critic. You CAN do that! And more.
    Here's to consistently tripping up that negative little voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan's blog is always inspiring. Yes, indeed you can and you did! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are just a craft adventurer, you try so many different things, I love this, your flower looks great and I spent the 70's embroidering all of my groovy clothes too!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. Hope you do more. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great job you have done, re french knots, I struggled but now do colonial knots/candlewick knots instead, much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a joy. I loved reading this this morning, over coffee. I am smiling. I think we all stall sometimes, and then once we stall a little, it's easy to stall some more. Your new tool and beautiful project WOW me, Sherry. You can do anything! Have a lovely, lovely day. I am off to an all day Math conference...ack. Hugs, kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. So clever!

    Happy New Year to you , too!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can do anything! You are so very talented and creative. I love ribbon embroidery -- never tried it myself, but sure do like the look of it. Best wishes to you! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did it! Of course we all knew you could. It turned out beautifully. I so enjoyed this post. Now I am off to tackle a project I have put off to long. I'll just keep saying... "I know I can"!! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were like the Little Engine That Could....I think I can, I think I can. You did a lovely job! Susan's work is truly an inspiration and beautiful.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous piece! I hope you are proud of yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello dear Sherry,
    You surely could, and did a beautiful job, making this wonderful flower.
    I can`t wait to see the book finished- and KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so funny! I can just see, circling it again and again... and I'm so glad you jumped in and got it done. It will be a wonderful treasure and when you are finished you will be so glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your needle case is looking terrific and the material looks absolutely lovely. I took Susan's course last year, absolutely loved it and made two of them right away. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. See? You know how to do this ;-)
    Just step over the threshold. You can do so much more than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sherry, Well your flower is just gorgerous and yes, You do know how to do this!!
    Beautiful work my friend. Have fun with this journey. You are just one talented girly!!

    Thank you for stopping by. I do hope your try that scarf with the sashay yarn. It is sold at Joann's by Red Heart. Hobby Lobby doesn't carry it. Not sure about Michaels.

    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sherry, your flowers is so pretty, you see you did it. Going to check out her blog.
    xxx
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your new tool, I've never heard of that kind of punch...this looks like such a cool project! I hesitate as well....not sure why, either, other than I 'drag myself' along late, too! Like right now...I should be making Valentine's.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You Go Girl!!!! You've turned over a new leaf this year. Such beautiful results Sherry.
    Hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like how your flower is a late bloomer...some things are worth waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. Imagine my delight to come to visit and read this! I am SOO SO glad you tackled your flower and it's WONDERFUL!! Thank you so much for the blow by blow. I often get stuck myself when starting a technique that I haven't done before. And you are right. The only cure for it is to get over ourselves and DO it.

    You are just THE BEST! I love how you think and write. I also love your new punch tool. very cool.

    Now time for the back page embroidery...I think your goal of February 8 is a great one. I'm off to post to the group about that!

    Great life to you, Sherry dear...
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow. Imagine my delight to come to visit and read this! I am SOO SO glad you tackled your flower and it's WONDERFUL!! Thank you so much for the blow by blow. I often get stuck myself when starting a technique that I haven't done before. And you are right. The only cure for it is to get over ourselves and DO it.

    You are just THE BEST! I love how you think and write. I also love your new punch tool. very cool.

    Now time for the back page embroidery...I think your goal of February 8 is a great one. I'm off to post to the group about that!

    Great life to you, Sherry dear...
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is stunning! Well done! You can do anything once you give yourself a little pep talk :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your needlebook has made a great start. I procastinate too. Sometimes when I'm having trouble getting started on a project because I'm worried I'll mess it up, I persuade myself to do 1 small step a day - even if it's just cutting the piece of material to size. I signed up to Susan's class on the 2nd time round too and finished my needlebook over Christmas. Good luck getting yours finished for the 8th Feb.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.