Sunday, February 9, 2014

Pfaff, Sew, La, Te, Da...

First and most important is the fact that it is RAINING here!!!  Lots of rain.  Our pond is full.  The ground is soaking up the rain as fast as it falls and there are very few puddles.  Our rain gauge has overflowed at 6 inches yesterday.  It is RAINING!  Glorious rain falling from the heavens.  Thank You!


I have been sewing and truly enjoying myself.  When I couldn't sleep the other night this title ran through my head.  Pfaff, Sew, La, Te, Da.  It amused me.  I am easily amused.  In my blog reading I saw Martha at Quilt to the Edge make some fabric boxes and I was smitten.  I knew I just had to make these.  Thank you Martha.   Martha also politely linked her source to Tina at Seaside Stitches.  Of course I visited her blog also and was inspired.  Here is my little box I made.  When I prepared my fabrics I cut three sandwiches all with my 12 1/2 square ruler.  Why would I try just one?


Since I made the first one and followed the ladies suggestions and my little fabric box came out very nicely I thought I would continue.  I already had cut three sets so on I sewed.  This time I shortened the sides.  On each of these I decided to use my inner flaps as extra little pockets by stitching the corners down.  Hmmm...I like this one also.


Now I did on purpose what I read was a mistake before.  I folded on the diagonal instead of the straight and got this tray effect instead of the box shape.  I also stitched my flaps on the outside to give more character.  I added buttons to the corners of this tray.  On the boxes I added buttons to the fold over flaps.
This is a very fun and easy project and I am very thankful to both Martha and Tina for generously sharing.


Here are my three little boxes/tray.  The bonus is that they nest...just in case they remain empty.  I have nested them for the time being and put them in my special gift cupboard.  I already know the recipient.
These are great uses for scraps or fat quarters.  The possibilities are endless.  Oh and Joy of Joys...using more manly fabrics I can make trays for those hard to satisfy gift recipients...men and boys!  Wouldn't it be fun to make a tray and include a key chain or wallet or hot rod model car for the enthusiast?!  These would also make wonderful hostess gifts when paired with some food item or bath soaps or ???
Pfaff, Sew, La, Te, Da and I am a very happy girl.
Thank you to my new followers.  May you continue to visit and enjoy my sharings.  Thank you to my faithful readers who comment and give me such wonderful feedback.
February is humming right along.  I hope you are creating and finding joy in all you do.  Creative Blissful Joy...

26 comments:

  1. I'm so, so glad you are getting the rain you desperately needed!! Your fabric boxes are amazing!! I love the look of them!! You did such a fabulous job!! Have a wonderful evening :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fabric boxes-very nice-so glad you are getting rain
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, Sherry! I LOVE your sweetly sewn boxes! Amazing! You are really amazing. I am SO happy for your rain! Hugs, kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the wet stuff! The boxes are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you have rain at last 😃

    Your box/trays are FABULOUS! They have so much detail and don't look easy to make to me - so impressive.

    How useful that they nest and they will make super gifts x

    ReplyDelete
  6. such good news about the rain, your well will soon fill up.
    Love the boxes I am off to visit the blog for the pattern, thanks for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, now! THOSE are sew la te do cute!

    Happy highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to hear you have rain at last. The boxes are a lovely idea, and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your little boxes! I happened to have read that same blog post, and I even went so far as to pull out the fabric to make them. Unfortunately, I didn't have your little jingle to keep me going. I wonder if it would work to sing Bernina, Sew, La, Te, Da?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fabric boxes are wonderful! Rain dancing does work :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending up thanks for your rain! These fabric containers are great...I am sitting here thinking they would be grand to hold my thread and scissors while I smock. I like the tray version as I could corral all my tools. Maybe would work for the tv remotes...vitamin bottles...pencils and zentangle pens...lots of possibilities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Those fabric boxes look great! Thanks for sharing the link. Glad you are getting your much needed rain.

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, it's raining! Yahoo! So happy the parched earth is being renewed with H2O.
    Sherry, your nesting boxes look so pretty! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These little boxes are just great Sherry - I can see lots of uses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How adorable!!! And adding your own touch(s) makes them just all that more special!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh "sew" very pretty!!!! I told myself I am getting my sewing machine out this week to make a few Spring Easter things....these are wonderful...so pretty!!! Glad you got some rain...want some snow...I can send it, we have more then we will ever "need"...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you finally have rain!!These are just plum gorgeous and yes I could think of a million uses for them too! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your fabric boxes are beautiful, great colors and aren't they fun! I made several about a month ago and did some french seams on them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG I can stop doing the rain dance YEaaaaa!!! So happy for you! I love your fabric boxes and yes, the uses are unlimited...I have a similar one I use to serve hot buns. You are always up to something fun and different!!!

    CArol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dance in the rain Sherry!
    The boxes are darling.
    hugs and JOY,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your fabric boxes/trays are excellent. I love those beautiful fabrics and the colours. I feel the need to make some now. The ideas are just churning over in my head. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful boxes - I have visions of making lots of these to store stuff in my sewing room. Wouldn't that be cute! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that's a little diddy I could get stuck in my head. Ha! I'm easily amused, too. Love the nesting baskets. They would make great gifts filled with all sorts of things. I know I wouldn't have a problem filling them up. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sherry when I heard you were getting rain I was so thrilled for you. Gorgeous nesting baskets you created. So useful and pretty at the same time.
    Have a great day and enjoy the rain.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pretty nesting baskets!! So beautiful and practical. Love your handmade pretties... Oh and since we desperately need rain around here in Southern Cal, I better start rain dancing if that worked so well in your area!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. These ROCK! You're going to have the most organized sewing space around!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.