Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Chalk Paint Re-Do...


As I was reading blogs one day I came across a wonderful post by Kathy of Creative Home Expressions and I was smitten right away. Her blog post title that day was "Knife Block Makeover" and it really spoke to me.  I have a knife block and love how functional it is but I have never really liked the look of it.  When you visit Kathy and see hers you will understand why I loved it.  So out came the jar of Annie Sloan's chalk paint in Paris Grey that I already owned from a previous project. 


I gave my knife block a coat of paint.  Then I gave it another coat just for good measure.  I don't know about you but my hand is not very steady when I put those sharp knives into their respective home slots.  I expect to get dings and marks over time.  Ahhh..."character".  I am old enough to appreciate "character" when it happens...like dropping a can on my wood floor...that tiny dent is now "character" and I am very accepting of it instead of freaking out like I used to do.  Life Happens!
After my two coats of chalk paint I put on a coat of Annie Sloan wax.  Then I got out my stencil and with simple acrylic craft paint I stenciled a flourish on the side.  Oops the first side got messy.  Instead of chalk painting it over I decided to lightly sand my stenciling and I liked that look.  So I did the very same stencil technique on the opposite side.  Now my block is not the same as Kathy's.  I have rounded edges so I decided no paper for mine.  I kept it simple with the stencil. 


Another coat or two of wax and Viola.  To the front I affixed a T!m Holtz frame with the word "Knives"...just in case I forget what I have in my newly painted block.  Mr. C was very skeptical but I do believe he likes the end result after all.

Here it is sitting on my kitchen counter and looking beautiful if I say so myself.  Thank you Kathy for the inspiration.  Hmmm...now what else can I chalk paint or alter?
Take a look around and see what you might be inspired to change with this simple and quick idea.
Our weather is continuing to be glorious.  The skies are clear and blue and the daytime temps are in the 70's.  Pollen season is over so the windows are open and wonderful fresh air is plentiful.  I am still cleaning and finding dust in places I guess I don't clean that often.  Reno photos soon I promise. 
Joy and Creative Bliss...

19 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry. What a cute idea. Love the way yours came out. TFS. ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luv chalk paint. You did such a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, it looks amazing!! I want to do this to my knife block now!! I love the stencil you used!! What a fabulous project!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. So glean and love the stencil work. Hope you have had some rain. We are getting dribbles here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never ever saw this done before but what a great idea,,,, perfect!

    I can't wait to see the renovation photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever and most decorative is this idea. I love how yours looks. Great fix to just sand the stencil lightly. Resulting in a great look too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This i perfect!!! My DIL just got rid of her knife container...I'll have to see if she stashed it somewhere so I can play!! Wonderful!!!! Looks so nice on your counter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your knife block looks great! I just recently heard of chalk paint, and I'm fascinated by what can be done. I have some tired pieces at home that might just need a little updating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Mr. C: PLEASED x 18! This is incredible, Sherry! I've never seen anything like it. You've definitely inspired me... but of course, mine will be covered in (you guessed it!) BOOK'OUPAGE!

    Hugs,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a transformation looks so so good on your worktop, I have a small wooden one that is kept out of sight

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I love painting with chalk paint and thought about doing it on my new (but old) sewing table, but I'm trying to restain it instead. I need to find something to chalk paint again and think I need to look at my knife holder. The addition of the Tim Holtz "knives" is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your re-do Sherry, especially the little framed knives sign.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dear Sherry, first thank you again for your beautiful card and dragonfly , I love it.
    And your knife holder, looks so wonderful now. What a beautiful change, I love it in white with the stenciles and the sign in front, it must be so lovely now in your kitchen.
    My daughter and grandchild suddenly desited to visit for pentacost and we have had some lovely days together, making tours around the island , and just relaxing at home, playing and drawing with Mathilde. I was so happy to see them. I hope you are well, -had my scan yesterday, and am now waiting for answer !!! Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of chalk paint before and will have to look into it now. Your new and improved knife block looks terrific and the stencil and name plate really add to it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice job. I have a plain old knife block that's hard to keep clean because of the dusty environment here. We have to use gas in the kitchen, and it tends to leave a grimy residue. No proper ventilation in these concrete buildings. I just bought some stencils yesterday and am trying to decide where I can use them. :) Your weather is perfect. It's 115 here. Boo! Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks fabulous, Sherry! You did a great job on yours and I love the stencil. I think the label plate works out great on the front of these {unless you put something else there} since it is such a blank space and is usually the side that is facing out on view. Thanks so much for the shout out! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sherry, WOW your knife block turned out gorgeous. Love it. I saw Kathy's and so glad that was your inspiration to do yours. Love the color you used and the front frame plate.
    Beautiful job my friend. Thank you for the inspiration.
    Blessings for a great weekend.
    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sherry, my dear, hope you are fine! Well, you seem to, after finding all your beautiful creations here on your blog.
    I have not had much time for creating nor paying visits AND leaving comments in blogland. But now I just grabbed a cup of coffee and have fun reading all your recent posts. You are writing so humorous and heartfelt and your work is so rich in its facets, it is a pleasure to take a walk in your posts! I love both, your elegant and simple-coloured redo of the knives block as well as the colourful and skillfull embroideries you created. There is much inspiration to be found here, thank you so much for sharing! Have a nice and peaceful weekend, lots of sunshine and hopefully time for getting creative! Hugs from Manu

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.