Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Omiyage...

This is a book titled Omiyage and I have owned it for several years. The author is Kumiko Sudo. She is also the extremely talented artist who makes the lovely fabric gifts. I have always been fascinated with small things that are handmade and on the intricate yet simple note.
This butterfly is one that I made several years ago. Beautiful fabrics cut into shapes and then sewn by hand. Each butterfly has hundreds of tiny little stitches holding it together. I tried to do my best tiny stitching even though none of it shows in the finished butterfly. However I know my stitches are beautiful. The green ties are to hold a small pocket closed. I have a glass heart in this pocket for good luck. Since butterflies are the bearers of 10,000 happinesses I made these and gave them to my sisters one year. I doubt they realize how much time and love went into making each and every one of them.

This is a fabric origami bird that is made with simple shapes and handstitched. Once again I made each tiny stitch as perfect as I possibly could just because. These small birds are so simple and elegant when complete. I placed each bird I made in a lovely little nest (purchased) and then gave them to my dear friends and sisters.
I have many more little fabric items I wish to make from this amazing book. The days of traveling and working on small hand projects while captive on a plane are long gone. I have had numerous little scissors, needles and pins confiscated merely because I never even thought of my lovely hand sewing projects being anything related to terrorism or causing harm to anyone. How sad. So now all those hours are spent mindlessly watching some idiot tv or listening to some music or reading until my eyes are too blurry to see through. I miss my tiny little stitches and the amazing finished fabric gifts. When I am home there never seems to be the time to sit and stitch as so many chores always need to be tended to. Yes, I hear the dryer calling me now to have me fold a load of clothes. Oh joy!
How do you like to spend your travel time when you are captive on a plane?






5 comments:

  1. These are really neat! I love the fact that they have that little pocket on the back. Thanks for sharing these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i know what you mean....i get so frustrated when i think of the items that i've had confiscated!! safety is important, but so is maintaining our sanity when we're cooped up in an airplane! your projects are gorgeous.....i hope you're able to find some time for yourself to create some more! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't travel.....much.....

    but if I had to devote some time to sitting in a seat doing something to pass the time, I'd probably sink my teeth into a good book...or doodle in my sketchbook...

    yup, that about sums it up...
    actually is sums up almost every night of my life! lol

    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plane frustration is running rampant, isn't it? I like to look at art journaling books & magazines, and to read a really juicy novel...until my eyes get too blurry too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovin' your butterfly! This must have taken you hours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.