Saturday, December 31, 2011

Farewell 2011...Hello 2012...

 As I bid farewell to 2011 I am reminded of all that transpired this past year.  All in all it was a pretty good year for me.  I am grateful for my husband who supports me in all my endeavors even when I don't follow through like I thought I would do.  I am grateful for my daughter and granddaughters who always keep me on my toes as a mother and grandmother...a lifelong challenge I wouldn't trade.  I am thankful for discovering this blogging medium that I embrace and the wonderful friends I have made and for all they share so generously of their talents and handmade treasures.  Life is good and I am blessed.  Even the trials of this past year have been weathered.  Getting sick on vacation and for the holidays is not fun but I will get well.  Saying goodbye to my beloved Sasha BooBoo kitty after 18 years was the hardest and worst experience and I still miss her every moment, however I know she is in a better place and not suffering.
So in my reflecting over this past year and preparing for the new year to come in a few short hours I was thinking of how I will grow and experience all that is possible.  In 2010 I chose to have a word that helped me be a better person..."FOCUS". I still use that as a learning tool and it has definitely made me aware of so much more each day.  In 2011 I chose the word..."NOW".  As in don't put off til later...do it now.  I can honestly say that this has really been extremely helpful to me this year.  Such a little word but so powerful!
Now as I enter into 2012 I wanted to select a word that would once again mean more to me and help me be that much better everyday.  Hmmm...
 Calm is one of the words I pondered.  I could really benefit from learning to remain calm in situations I cannot change.  Somehow this little word just wasn't what I was really looking for to guide me through an entire year. 
 Magic is a favorite word of mine.  I believe in all things (including Santa and such) and feel that if one has a touch of magic in their lives then they live with a sparkle of happiness over and above the normal.  After all I am a Disneyland child.
And then my word appeared...PLAY.  I am always so responsible and cautious and afraid of everything and mothering everyone to take care of them.  I need to give myself permission to PLAY.  When I looked in my dictionary...yes I still have a print dictionary that I refer to many times...my new word has quite the coverage in the pages of words.  Well!  I like this word and feel it will serve me well through 2012.   
Do you still have a printed actual dictionary in your home?  I was thrilled for my 13th birthday when I received my gift and opened it to find a real Webster's dictionary.  I would read it for hours on end at night when I should have been sleeping.  You see my mother would play Scrabble with me and my sisters and of course she would always win...we were only 8-13 years old after all.  So you can see why I was so happy to get my own dictionary and study it to learn words I could PLAY on that Scrabble board. 
Hmmm...FOCUS - NOW - PLAY.  Sounds like a reward after two years of learning to improve myself.  Hello 2012 and all that you offer for me to experience and learn and achieve.
On a global note...I wish for world peace...why can't people just get along and be happy!  Oops...sounds like my Disneyland fairy tale world I love.
Healthy and Happy and Blissful and Creative New Year to each and everyone...

29 comments:

  1. I do have a dictionary right near my computer. I see in the cover I must have got it in grade school, judging by my name and address. I am wishing I'd gotten the one I saw a few weeks ago that probably was a crossword puzzle type and would give me better choices when I want to wax lyrical. lol Happy new year, Sherry. Play will bring its own magic as you calmly add the lessons we all learn as we continue the blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely have a dictionary, and so does Zack! I use it when I read at night and don't know a word (which I'll say the Kindle has a cool feature -- highlighting a word gives you the meaning!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good reward indeed. It will stand you well, to remind yourself to play - I love it!
    Yes, I have a dictionary. A great big beautiful, heavy, dictionary that I can lose myself in for hours... I love words - all their layers of meaning and the possibilities they bestow - I remember thinking when I was young that I would hate to lose the ability to speak!
    Happy New Year to you Sherry, and all the best for 2012...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my dictionaries Sherry.We could have been sisters with all that Caring, Worrying, Organising...oh dear. As you know Capricorns were born old in the Responsibility sense, so PLAYING is something I do more and more as I age. What a good idea to live by a word you have chosen to inspire you.good idea.

    I agree with the other ladies, words have many layers of meaning.Fascinating really!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Sherry!
    Love your word choice/s - I should pick Focus for this year since I am so easily distracted:) "Play" will be such a fun word for you to enjoy in 2012!
    Yes, have several dictionaries around here, including a Scrabble one, but must confess that now I'm more apt to type a word in a word doc & then use Spellcheck instead of pulling out the dictionary! Bad Jane! I did, however, just read an interesting book,"Endangered Words", that includes 100 really strange words with their stories. I think there were only 2-3 I'd heard of before!
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll focus on getting better at posting & responding to comments in 2012!
    Jane-Jacksonville or Aralia Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love ths post, Sherry!! I have dictionaries that are big and heavy and made of wonderful paper, yes! I even won one in fifth grade, after our school spelling bee. Aaah. I adore you and your words. I have my new word, too...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!! Fantastical..such a beautiful and magical post..wow!!! Oh yes..my fave word too..MAGIC! Wishing you a sparkling new year and may it be filled with many blessings!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. What An Incredible Post! Your Words Meant More To Me Than You May Fully Realize. Truly Gave Me Pause To Think. I Too Am So Grateful For Finding My Cherished Blogging Community. Each Of My Friends Are Part Of My World. Thank You For Reminding Me Of So Many Wonderful Gifts. And Also For Reminding Me Of The Need To "Play". Truly An Exceptional Post And I Send You Warmest Wishes For Much Love, Joy, Health & Happiness In The Coming New Year! xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  9. My red Webster's dictionary sits beside me on my computer desk, and is used often. Over Christmas, DS and DDIL were visiting and we played Quiddler, a fun word game. The dictionary was used a lot!
    Sometimes, as 'responsible' adults, we forget to let the little child inside us out to play. I hope 2012 will provide countless opportunities for you to play and have fun.
    Wishing you a wonderfully, play-filled, creative New Year!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a little old dictionary that belonged to my in-laws. Kids tend to use the internet for everything these days and I do use it, especially at work when my boss uses a word or phrase that I don't quite get. I still prefer books, something solid in my hands.

    FOCUS NOW! I think those shall be my words for the year. I must rid myself of my procrastinating ways! :)

    Happy, healthy new year to you and yours. Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sherry, -and a beautiful new year to you my friend-healthy and blessed with hours to play,and focus on lovely creations.
    Thanks for 2011-
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feliz Año Nuevo ✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.✫ ✫
    ◕▄███▄◕──◕▄██▄◕──◕▄███◕──◕▄███▄◕
    ◕▀──██◕─◕██──██◕───◕██◕──◕▀──██◕
    ◕──██◕──◕██──██◕───◕██◕──◕──██◕
    ◕─██◕───◕██──██◕───◕██◕──◕─██◕
    ◕█████◕──◕▀██▀◕───◕▄██▄◕─◕█████◕
    ✿♥❀♥❁•*¨✿❀❁•*¨`*•.✿❀❁•*¨`*•.`✿♥❀♥❁♥❀♥❁.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherry-
    This is such a wonderful post. I love the word you have chosen-- you are so right in that most of us do not allow ourselves the luxury to play. But we should---!

    I hope the New Year brings you good health and many blessings- ( and some special time just for you to play!)

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  14. A truly beautiful post! I love that you chose play...we mothers too often forget that there's another side to us. I love scrabble and have found that I can play it long distance with my children using an "app" on my phone called Words With Friends. We have ongoing games that last for days. :) Happy New Year! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful post you have shared! I love the words you have chosen for past years, and also the one you have now....PLAY. Yay for you! That is a fabulous word!

    I am choosing Be. That is what I am making more room for....just being in the moment. Last year was a challenging, and this year I want to enjoy each moment!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah I think we had the same mother. I still have my first dictionary too. Well read I might add. I find it amazing that we also picked the same word. PLAY. It truly is something I must do more of. Happy New Year Sherry and I hope you are feeling much better. Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I have my dictionaries, can't imagine being without them.

    Beautiful post. May you have fun playing this year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love looking through the dictionary - I always learn something new. Play. As a theater person, we are lucky enough to have permission to play. It's what our work is all about. Have fun and Play. Happy New Year!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New year my friend! I love the word study you do for the new year!
    I do not make resolutions but instead have decided to live in the moment in the coming months!
    I am so tired most of the time I forget to just breathe and enjoy the simple things!
    Hugs from here
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year, Sherry!
    Thanks for visiting my blog! Hope you are both all well now - what a 'vacation' that was! Not how I picture Hawaii at all!
    Hopefully 2012 will give you lots of time to PLAY!
    Aralia Jane

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still use a printed copy of the dictionary. I work at a library and still like to go to the shelf and pick up a copy off the shelf when I want to look up a word. I have one by my computer at home and in my bag with my bible study, I don't think to go to the computer first. I am trying to choose a word for the year and I love the word you have chosen. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent word for the year!!
    And I sure do have a print dictionary! I got mine for Christmas when I was 10. My very own Websters dictionary! Like you, I would look up everything, and I pressed my flowers in it too.
    When my boys want to know what something means, I tell them to look in the dictionary.
    It doesn't have words like computer, or video game in it, but the basics are the same. I wouldn't part with it for anything!
    Happy New Year my friend!!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  23. Play, I like that, I play all the time. No i don't have a dictionary, can you believe that, I am wondering where it went, to think our grandbabies will never know about dictionaries...yours will!

    Happy New Year
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy New Year Sherry. I just love your new word for the year, PLAY.
    Yes, I have two great dictionaries. Both Websters, both my hubbies and mine from college. They are very special and I am so glad we kept them. I still refer to them often when needed.
    Wishing you a wonderful year filled with many blessings. Thank you for you friendship, I am so glad to have met you this past year.

    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy-happy New year! *woot-woot*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your post, Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have read the dictionary since I was a wee girl!

    When I want inspiration, I shut my eyes, open the book, point to the page and open my eyes to see the chosen word. That is my clue to ponder. It works for me!

    My New Years word: labyrinth!

    Happy 2012!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year Sherry! I wish you many hours of play in 2012. I love your post and dictionary references. I too still have a big hard cover dictonary, as well as several small cheap versions that I tear up for collage purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great post...I love your "words", especially "calm"! I'm working on that one, myself. Wishing you an amazing new year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.