Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Lavender Museum France...


While in the South of France touring the Provence and Luberon regions we stopped at this wonderful Lavender Museum.  Musee de la Lavande and you can click the link to read more details. I love lavender and had read about this stop long before we traveled.  Mr. C was kind enough to indulge me and we had a lovely visit.  The tour is quite interesting.


The grounds are lovely and quite perfect for resting and even bringing a picnic lunch which we did not have with us.  We did sit and enjoy an ice cold water and snack we had.


This is a copper still.  Did you know they distilled lavender oils from the lavender plant buds in copper stills? Very amazing to see how it has been done for decades by this family that decided to share their love and livelihoods of farming lavender with this museum open to the public.


Lavender is very interesting and I did not have much knowledge of fine lavender before visiting here.  I am so glad we stopped and learned more about something I truly adore.


Yes they have a fine boutique and Flat Fanny and I did some shopping.  We purchased some fine lavender essential oil.  Only produced and sold here...not in the States.  I already have some lavender essential oil I purchased in the local health foods store.  Now I know the difference.  I have been using a small spray vessel filled with my infused lavender oil for refreshing my face in dry and/or hot conditions.  I carried it with me on the planes and trains and used it when I felt less than refreshed.  Just a light spritz and ahhh.
Here is the recipe I use.  It is from Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey with Michele Bender.
1.  Fill a large pot with 2 quarts water.
2.  Cover the pot, bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour to remove impurities. Check to be certain water isn't boiling away.
3.  Remove pan from heat and add 5 drops pure (not synthetic) lavender essential oil.  Stir to blend and replace the lid.
4.  Let the lavender water steep until cool.  Pour into spray bottles.
5.  Store extra lavender spray in a cool place.
This spray can be used to refresh rooms, car interiors, bed linens, clothes in the dryer and hair and face.
You will want to spray this in a non-conspicuous area until you are certain you like the results.  Your lavender essential oil may be different from my lavender essential oil.
August is already on a fast track.  Fortunately we got some light rain yesterday and today it is misting.  I am so very thankful for any moisture we receive in this Dry Drought Ridden state we are in.  I have been busy with my semi-annual Whooly Thyme trimming at the pond.  Not much happening in the studio or sewing room.  I have plans for projects but just need to get myself motivated and busy.  I think I am still in vacation mode or maybe Summer lazy days mode.
What are you busy doing these days of August?  I understand school begins very soon.  So early compared to years ago when it began right after Labor Day.
Summer Sunshine Smiles...or...Winter Cool Sparkles to each of you.  Creative Bliss to all...

25 comments:

  1. Oh how I would love that visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it looks so wonderful!! I would love to visit!! And thanks for the recipe...I have some lavender oil but I'm not sure if it is pure...I'll have to check. I'm glad you got some rain, even if it was just a misting!! Have a great evening :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always learn so much from you!!! What a nice post and keeping us educated about lavender!! Thanks!!! What a great trip you had!!! Keep the 'blog post tour' up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Lavender is one of my very favorite things in the whole wide world, Sherry! Thank you for sharing this. I loved it! I grow different lavenders here at home, but I just walk outside and sniff it, I've never learned to use it...now I will check out recipes. Your lavender spritzer is wonderful. So glad you enjoyed your trip so much! I am actually taking a short trip to a cottage in New Hampshire later this week...a little getaway... Peace and love to you, my friend, k

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have missed some lovely posts, Sherry--don't know why, but I'll catch up on all that's been happening while I was away and occupied with the wedding piece.
    How wonderful to see the Lavender Museum and learn all about the process of creating lavender oil! I bet it smelled heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that something. I know nothing either except it won't grow here. I tried! ;(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Sherry - have been travelling myself, so have missed that you are out of the country. What a lovely place this must have been! Looking forward to catching up on my reading of your travels in the next few days. Be safe - XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would have been one of the highlights of my trip...So glad the Mr indulged you!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. the lavender fields must have smelt beautiful, I have quite few bushes in my garden as I love it too

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't aware of the Lavender Museum! Now I have something fun to research.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was there too....what a lovely trip you must have had...living there for so many years...brought back some delightful memories..thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sherry I love lavender, so that must have been a great place to visit. I have that Curly Girl Book too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how wonderfuul! I would have so loved to have been here-I love everything about lavender, and I use allot of lavender essential oil-I am prone to burns in the kitchen and it is amazing that a couple drops of essential oil will make the burn go away--thanks for the lavender spray recipe-I liked that I had read about how they make the essential oils-pretty neat-a real art Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a wonderful time and lots of lovely memories to look back on. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for such a nice post and recipe. I am anxious to try the lavender spray.....love REAL lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How very beautiful, dear Sherry, lavender are so beautiful in every way, it must have been a wonderful visit.
    Sherry my mother is dying, so I`m not much on my computer, but I will be back. Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great place to visit! I can just smell the lavender now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love lavender and am filling my gardens with it. The elk don't touch it so far so will plant even more. Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely use it. I have a purchased spray I use on my pillows every night before I go to sleep. It is just heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd love to visit a place like this. I love lavender and think this would be so much fun.
    I also remember when school started after Labor Day, we actually had a full three month summer vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love lavender too and your visit sounds and looks wonderful! I've visited a few lavender fields here in England - Norfolk and Yorkshire and it's always an interesting trip.

    The children here mainly go back to school at the beginning of September so there's a few weeks left yet.

    Hope you get some more needed rain soon.

    Best wishes,

    Sherry xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. The lavender museum sounds so lovely. I'm glad you were able to experience it and get some pure oil. That spray does sound refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds a beautiful trip... I would love to visit there...Loved your post...Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  23. How lovely. I imagine it was quite interesting. We never really think of where things come from, how they are processed, and made, etc. Always nice to learn something new. I know folks who don't like the smell of lavender at all. Very strange. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely Lavender! Thanks for sharing!
    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohhhhhh- what a wonderful place to visit. There is just nothing more beautiful than a field of lavender:)

    You certainly had a wonderful trip!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.