Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Toile Folder and Cards...


Toile fabric is such an interesting bit of story telling.  This particular piece is scenes of the country side and people from years ago.  I don't know what the original story is or was but I certainly use my own imagination when I am selecting and cutting and sewing with this type of fabric.  Here I have sewn an envelope folder.  The recipient may use it for something ordinary or something special.  That is part of the fun of the gift. 


I lined this one with wool felt.  I might think of placing a nightie or nylons within.  I might use it for jewelry like a necklace that needs to be protected.  If I had some love letters those would be fun to keep inside.  What would you contain within these Toile layers?


While the fabric leftovers were sitting on my cutting table I saw some of the little scenes and decided to add them to a tag and cards.  This little lad is just begging to travel.


With all of my weekly mailings I never have enough cards and I like to make my own instead of merely using store-bought.  So I cut another little Toile scene and stitched it to a blank card.


I think this lad resting by a tree is my favorite.  There are so many possibilities of story telling with Toile fabric.  It felt so good to take a few minutes and play in my sewing room.  A girl cannot clean every day and every minute. 
Mr. C celebrated his birthday over the past week.  We have been eating way too much food as we enjoy the company of friends.  We choose "cake"!
Now it is back to the remodel project where progress is being made.  Yesterday we discovered our lighting is all wrong for the new floor.  So it is time to study light bulbs and lumens and whatever else is required to attain just the proper coolness or warmness that doesn't "wash" out the color and design of the porcelain tile. This is NOT my area of interest.  Mr. C will do a fabulous job of discerning all this technical jargon.  Maybe I will be able to sneak off to my studio for a few fun minutes.  I think I can find a few inches amongst the chaos to "spread out" and get creative.
Lovely April Day to You as You do what You Enjoy...

18 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT! I just luv this, Sherry. I luv toile and have a number of very large pieces of it. I seem to have gone in a different direction in my home decor so this is such a great idea! We have had to change up our lighting so I am nodding my head . Blissful day, Miss Createology! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful toile folder and the other goodies are sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty little envelope. And to make tags and cards from the scraps is purely delightful for your NLWM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know who the very lucky recipient of this gorgeous folder is :0)
    Thanks bunches Sherry! I love using fabric on cards, I haven't done it in quite a while, thanks for reminding me of what a great medium fabric is.
    hugs and JOY,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is one of my favorite fabrics,,, what a lovely pouch to save and protect treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toile is, in a word, precious! So of course these are definitely precious!

    Hugs, Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely farbric scenery just perfect for your projects. We had a fine spring day here and managed to be in the garden for most of it.
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love toile fabrics, your little tags using it are perfect. That pouch is so useful for many things. Good idea to line it with wool,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello dear Sherry,
    I totally love your folder, and cards. They are beautiful, and I never saw toile in these colours before, very lovely and colourful.
    Congratulations with mr. C ,so nice to see good friends when celebrating!
    Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fabric is gorgeous!! What a creative and fabulous idea to add it to cards and tags!! I love that idea!! I hope Mr. C had a wonderful birthday!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely...just lovely as usual!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely little case. Definitely great for carrying jewelry while traveling. I love how you use up all those scraps.

    Weather here is still dusty and drab. We've really only had 2 blue sky days in over week now. Bleh!

    Have a good Friday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your idea of using the toile to create cards and tags! I can imagine little stories that would go with each picture........The folder is beautiful. Hope you get more creative moments........

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so charming, What beautiful fabric, Lovely folder and gorgeous cards..
    Hugs June x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love toile and you definitely created something special with it...sweet! Remodeling is no fun, but so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love toile! I have a black and white toile beddingset and I LOVE it! You made an amazing set of toile! Anyone would LOVE it!!
    I'm having a giveaway on my blog, if you want to check it out. I also have my stamps on my blog. I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear if you like them!
    Happy remodel!
    xxD

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just beautiful, Sherry! I love the envelope you made with this pretty toile fabric. I always have some toile stashed around here as it is such a classic fabric and you can come up with so many different things to make using it. Love how you utilized the scraps, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW I love these toile designs Sherry. I am such a toile fan and I love this color combo too.
    So nice to catch up with you tonight.
    Hugs and Blessings, CM

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.