Friday, January 30, 2015

Clean Slate Sewing Room...


As January 2015 comes to a close I do have something to show for three days of my January.  My sewing room had become such a clutter filled mess I honestly could not see any flat surface for all the piles of projects and fabrics, laces, ribbons and anything else that could be stacked upon.
Even the triple closet was overflowing with stuff.  Where to begin was my dilemma.  So I began with the closet and took out everything.  I found a floor and walls that I hadn't seen in years.  Who knew?


I also found some very interesting frames I forgot I had purchased along the way.  Now the closet is neat and clean and organized.  No photos as I forgot to take those because I was so focused on clearing and sorting and de-cluttering.  I worked non-stop for three full days and now I am happy to say my room is just right again.  I even got the ladder and emptied all the shelves and cleaned and organized my "dust collectors" as Mr. C calls them.  And he is right...there was a lot of dust on them.


I do know how very fortunate I am to have such a luxury space all to myself for sewing.  I remember long ago when I was much younger and had no money.  My only creative space was a tiny little wall hung drop-lid desk that was about the size of a large breadbox.  I painted it bright yellow and put lots of contact paper stick on flowers...after all it was the hippie era.


This room and all the contents really make me happy.  I love to sew and find it very rewarding and relaxing...unless I make a mistake and have to un-stitch and begin again.  I have my wonderful Pfaff sewing machine, my mother's original Baby Lock Serger (yes it is the four threads that MUST be threaded in sequence!) and my old Singer (Japanese plastic model) that I now use for sewing paper and cardstock.  Having each machine out and ready is such a help.  There were years when my only machine had to live in a hall linen closet and could only come out for specific sewing tasks only to be put away again so the only table could be used for dining or paying bills.  How do we get so lucky to have numerous tables and desks and other pieces of furniture that do only one specific thing with no multi-purposing?


I have shared my sewing room here on my blog before and nothing has really changed.  This time I am sharing a fresh clean slate for beginning my sewing projects I have in mind for this year.  These two frames are my view of many gifted items from blogging friends.  These are all from very early on when I was truly amazed that people I didn't even know would share their wonderful handmades with me.  I cherish every piece I have ever been gifted.  I'll share other displays in future posts.
Thank you for indulging my little piece of heaven and for letting me share my joy of working hard to clean and organize.  Oh and did you see my corner window view?  Mr. C built all this beautiful cabinetry (we purchased the Koala Sewing Cabinet)  and window seating for me.
No rain or snow and our 2015 January is the worst ever for precipitation according to the weather gurus.  I am savoring every precious drop of water I use each day.
How will you spend your February?  Hopefully in Creative Bliss...

25 comments:

  1. Oh, Sherry! It's SEW wonderful! Wow! You DO have a marvelous place to create. I love the windows and the view.

    I am revealing my own Inspiration Station on Monday. It was a pleasure to visit yours today!

    Hugs and happy weekend,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sherry.Nothing like a good tidy and clean to lift the spirits and make creating a pleasure again.What a nice space you have to work in. Love those views.Hope it rains soon.
    Judy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful, bright space! I need to do the same thing with my sewing room. Right now it's a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sewing room looks so nice and neat and organized. Mine is a nightmare. You have inspired me to do something about mine. The trouble is I have too many hobbies and all the junk that goes along with it. lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sewing room looks lovely - so clean and well-organized! Such a gorgeous view too! Hope you'll have many happy sewing hours this year! xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your space is so inviting, well-lit, and ready to sew or craft. I'm beyond impressed and motivated, too. Was just looking at flat surfaces last night thinking I need to pick one and clear it! things to get out of control so fast. And I remember when my sewing "room" was a corner of a closet for supplies and a metal kitchen cart for the sewing machine in our bedroom! Ah.. Back in the day... such a blessing to have real space now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are reminding me how desperately I need to reorganize my own sewing room (as if working in this jungle of stacks isn't reminder enough ). Nothing like a fresh start for the year. Your studio looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry, ohhhhhh, I`m jealous .... what a most wonderful room you have, and then 3 mashines !!!! I wish I had one for papers ,too and have been thinking of buying a cheap model for that, but for the moment being here in my little room I have no place, and should then change the two always, I think that would be annoying .... Well , you are lucky and you deserves it. I also soon need to do just what you did, whom knows, maybe I find a way to mix things here, in a more practical way.
    Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely space Sherry - all ready for creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely spot you have for creating, Sherry! I am envious of all the room and the natural light from your windows. I have that sewing machine in the closet thing going on, and only 1 work table (28"x 42") for all my painting, machine sewing, mixed media, etc. Luckily I hand embroider in a comfy chair in the livingroom! I dislike having to clear off the work table every time I want to change from one medium to another, but perhaps that means it sometimes gets things sorted and put away before the room overflows......lol! I just spent a week sorting and re-organizing my art room..........Have fun creating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderfully clean space, Sherry. Feels so good to get back to bare walls and no bunnies hiding! Yes, once most of us were on a multipurpose table. lol That is an amazing cabinet and your framed gifts are wonderfully inspiring. Be blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Your studio is looking absolutely wonderful and so inviting, it will be pure pleasure for you to start creating in there again after all your hard work reorganising

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherry this post comes at a good time for me. My Mr.P wants me to clean my sewing spaces (I have one for my sewing machines and one for my ironing space, cutting table and fabric). And he wants me to consolidate my 2 rooms into one so he can make the other into an exercise room. So I need to get creative in order to see ow to make 2 rooms of stuff fit into one room and be somewhat neat too. I like how you have your sewing machines and serger situated in your room, but I doubt I have the space in my little room for doing it all. Mr. P also refers to little things as dust collectors too, so I had to chuckle when I red that! LOL! Wish me luck with my organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sherry:
    How wonderful to see your creative space. Don't we always feel better when it's clean and we can find things? I'm going to be making more wallets and totes, but now that I've finished that last commission, I think it's time to clean (again). It really is a never-ending task. ;-)

    Hope you have a wonderful, restful and creative weekend, my friend. Be Well.

    Hugs from Tag and me.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, Sherry, your creative space is absolutely gorgeous!! I covet your beautiful window!! Mine is in the basement with just a small little window for light!! Mr. C's cabinets are fabulous!! I would never want to leave this room!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sherry, first I'd like to say thank you for your lovely comments on my weight loss post :)
    Wow, your sewing room! I have to say it again - wow!! It's beautiful, what an amazing space to be creative in. Your furniture looks gorgeous, isn't Mr C talented too. Also, I saw your two funky fowl friends on your window seats - lol. Thanks for sharing it with us Sherry, I always love to see other peoples creative spaces. My own craft room needs a clear out too - so perhaps I'll make a start on that this February xx



    ReplyDelete
  17. I am impressed!!!! Although, I think you could be creative working out of a box!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful room. You are definitely blessed to have this sewing room. Enjoy it. Isn't it nice to see everything so in order and in its place. I have been myself cleaning out my room. I am getting rid of so many hoarded items. I used to clean my room every single week, now I clean it once every other week. And still it takes me about 3 hours each time. Our weather has been nice, not cold and not hot. Wish it would stay this way a bit longer, but it doesn't seem that way. Crafty hugs, Ana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow...YOu are one lucky girl to have all of that space. I usually do like you did..Take everything out and start all over. You must be in creative heaven!!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  20. It always feels so good to make decisions about what projects are important and what can be let go of and passed on. What deserves your attention and what can go be a treasure to someone else. Looks like you did a lot of that to get yourself set up again in a space that feels bright and new. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all your sewing space! I used to sew on my kitchen table, but now I have a room of my own to sew in and it makes me happy to be in there. I think all that cleaning out makes us more creative!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know that I've ever seen your room before, but it's wonderful. What a great place to create and surround yourself with art and inspiration. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your sewing studio looks beautiful and oh so organized. You don't even want to think about how messy mine is right now. This next week I'm taking a cue from you and will at least clear off my cutting table and sewing table. Yes, we are so very blessed to have rooms devoted to sewing and crafts. I don't often stop to be thankful about this and you've reminded me to stop and reflect on it. Have a wonderful week. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.