Thursday, May 8, 2014

Gifts Out & In...


This is a Hostess gift I made yesterday.  It felt sew good to spend time in my sewing room and actually make something for someone.


I began my little project with a purchased flour sack towel, some interesting fabric and a piece of beautiful soft gray grosgrain ribbon.  Of course threads and my sewing machine did all the work.


I like how it turned out.  Now I have a unique and special Hostess gift prepared.  You never know when you will need to pull from that gift cupboard you keep.  Sew...this is a gift going out.


Now to share a gift that came in.  Miss Dorthe of Den Lille Lade in Denmark gifted me with this gorgeous collage she created.   I am loving the sweet little face on this beautiful collage of laces and fabrics and buttons all lovingly put together by Dorthe herself.  She wrapped it safely in the deep burgundy folder with the elegant ladies on front and tied it all with a purple velvet ribbon.  Her note is written on the Denmark postcard. Thank you from my heart Dorthe Dear.  Your gift is as precious and beautiful as you are my friend.


Here is a surprise gift from my Canadian friend Elle of elle in da coop blog.  In April while I was participating in National Letter Writing Month (NLWM) I made certain I also included some of my blog and personal friends with surprise mail.  Well...while I was mailing Elle she was mailing me this lovely fabric postcard she created.


Yes, I was completely surprised when I received it.  Thank you very much Elle Dear.  Now we are in May and I just spent my evening yesterday writing and preparing about another dozen follow-up pieces of mail from NLWM.  Whew!!!  This year was amazing however I over-committed myself and mailed out about 200 pieces of assorted mail.  CRAZY!!!  Two countries, plus all over Canada and 32 different states in the USA.  My piggy bank ran completely dry.  I better begin saving again for next year.
Our weather is lovely.  We even had one night with some gentle rain.  Nothing measurable but enough to water my ground cover at the pond.  We might get some more tonight and I am keeping my fingers crossed for snow on the passes to help our "exceptional drought".
Today is full of errands and anything else that comes along.  I am flexible and that helps me have a very happy day.  Oh and I still love Pharrell Williams singing Happy.  I can play it on repeat for an hour at a time and never grow tired of it.  I get lots of housework and laundry done to this Happy music!
Happy Mother's Day...especially to my beautiful daughter who enabled me to be a mom.  I am very proud of her and my two granddaughters.  I am very thankful for my mother and grandmother and older sister who taught me so very many things in life.  Especially my ability to be creative.
Let's make beautiful things that make us Happy.  Creative Bliss...

25 comments:

  1. Good for you - still mailing creative art after April!!

    Your guest towel is a great idea, I will have to try making one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thank you is to you, Sherry. I hope to up my post card skills for next year. You are a tough act to follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post, Sherry! Your towel turned out lovely and I love the fabric postcard you received. Very creative!

    I would love to see the mailing of Christmas cards pick up. I am just as bad, but it seems like over the last five years less and less cards get mailed. This past year I only had a handful.

    Have a Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hostess gift is gorgeous!! I love the flour sack towel!! And what awesome and thoughtful gifts you've received!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy stopping in for a visit to see what you're creating. You never fail to amaze. xo

    I love the gifts you received, too. Always heartwarming to get something in the mail from a friend. (Like the one I recently received from YOU! <3

    Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, my dear friend.
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. you certainly are dedicated with your post cards, that is a lovely gift you made, it is good to have somethings made up on hand, one never knows when we might need a gift,

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fabulous hostess gift! I should really think about creating gifts to keep on hand. It would be so much more fun than just looking at stacks of fabric and trims. Of course, I'll have to organize my sewing space first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely recognition of the women in your life! Just remember your daughter is a great mom because she had a great teacher!! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great gift, it is fun to sit down and spend a little time making gifts! Yes, I think you over committed with 200 postcards to send out!! But how great that you are doing it and receiving so many surprise gifts

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. the towel looks great,so nice to see it hanging up in a bathroom. hope no one dirties it! some lovely swaps too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you keeping the post office in business. :) Such fun to send and receive from around the world. Dorthe's work is so very detailed and beautiful. Great idea to keep gifts on hand. I do the same but then can't find the gifts I make. Ha! Best wishes for a wonderful day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sherry, Love the hostess gift you created and the fabric ruffle is wonderful. Dorthe is such a sweetheart and one of the nicest in blogland. Her creation is gorgeous and her talent is amazing.
    You have had a busy year with the ins and outs. But I know you are a very happy giver and God has truly blessed you talent and kindness.
    Wishing you a wonderful Mother's Day!!
    Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely hostess gift and yes, I imagine they do come in handy when you need a special something. Dorthe's collage is equally lovely as is Elle's postcard. 200 pieces of assorted mail - I'd definitely say you overextended yourself Sherry! Wishing you the very best this Mother's Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely towel! Happy Mother's Day my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That fabric is really interesting and looks good as part of your towel project. Love the vintage collage- wow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All kinds of beautiful things coming and going around your home. Glad to hear you had a bit of rain, you are always in my thoughts when the news covers your drought situation. The towel is a perfect hostess gift love the colors you chose. Dorthe always creates the most delicate collages, how nice she shared with you. The postcard was perfect for you as well!
    Enjoy your Mother's Day!
    xo,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hostess gift is gorgeous Sherry. I love that fabric and thought at first it was some of the Tim Holtz designs.

    What lovely gifts you received too - especially the beautiful collage.

    Happy Mother's Day to you x

    ReplyDelete
  18. i think you have HAPPY going on everywhere….from your beautiful tea towel making a hostess happy, to many artists happy to send lovely gifts to you, to the post office being happy that you've kept them in business :)) and most importantly, all these things make YOU happy, and that's the best happy of all!! enjoy a very happy Mother's day, sweet, creative, blissful chick!! hugs, xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy. Mother's Day to you dear Sherry! Whenever I stop by here, I read all of your blog posts since my last visit and then I marvel at how much you accomplish in a day! You are always busy making things to put a smile on someone's face...you are a kind and gracious lady! I smiled when I read your comment about listening to Pharell's "Happy". I love it too and can listen to it continually. It is motivational!
    Hope you had a wonderful day!
    xoxo
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy belated muums day...your ruffles have me smilomg...simply classy indeed

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sherry, I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! Lovely gifts out, and lovely gifts in! That's a nice way to spread happiness.
    Did more rain happen? I hope so. It's been dry here, too, and I'm hoping the promised rain will come, or I'll have to water my gardens!
    Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello lovely! Just read your sweet message on my blog (join my joy). Thank you so much for thinking of me, made me smile xxxxx
    I must admit I'm on facebook much more than into blogging. In case you're on facebook too, I'm posting under my name: Saskia Kok, living in Rotterdam :-)
    Lots of love and I wish you a wonderful Summertime!
    Saskia xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh so many gifts coming and going recently Sherry. Love little Mineva, Elle's card and, of course, Dorthe's sweet little collage - such a beautiful piece.
    The hostess gift is lovely and especially love that fabric - so where did you purchase this dear Sherry?
    Thank you always for your sweet comments and I'm grateful and appreciate your visits.
    Hugs from Australia,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.